Monday 22 July 2013

Why London is great to raise kids

Posted by Unknown at 11:13



I came across this article, and to be honest I couldn't disagree more.

I believe any country in the world has its bad and good points. I am not saying UK is the best place to bring up children, but the worst? That is a bit harsh. 
I am an expat living in London and yes, weather is better where I was born and perhaps people are more social, but opportunities here are fantastic, education is outstanding (and not so expensive) and believe me it is safe here. 

From my point of view, these are the advantages of raising your kids in London. Are any of these important to you?


1- Free Healthcare: If you are a UK resident, you are eligible for free healthcare. I had a baby in London, I was hospitalised for 4 days because I had an emergency C-Section. I didn't spend a penny and the service was, honestly, very very good.

2- Children Centres: Children’s centres are intended to be one of the main vehicles for ensuring that integrated and good quality family services are located in accessible places and are welcoming to all. They aim to support young children and their families, they offer a lot of free activities (some of them require a donation of £1). Luciano and I go to music classes, he loves them and it is a great chance for me to meet other local mums.

Find Children Centres close to you

3- Green London: London has a lot of green and open spaces. There are approx 1,700 parks here. Some of them even have paddling pools for kids, in summer this is great! And free!

4- Rural London: In such a large city, it is nice to have a rural day out with kids.

There are many urban farms that you can visit. Check them out, some are free.

5- Diversity: From school to the tube station, our kids can meet people from all walks of life. Their group of friends could hail from dozens of different countries. And they can try any cuisine. Our favourite is Italian. Kids learn how to respect different cultures. How cool is that?  

6- Baby changing facilities: Most restaurants have one. Also all the shopping malls. and some other shops like Mothercare, Boots etc. There is a phone app you can download that I found extremely useful.


7- Bike friendly: London's public bike scheme started in July 2010, there are 8,000 bicycles distributed across London.


8- Free Childcare for 3 and 4-year-olds kids: 3 and 4-year-old kids in England are entitled to 15 hours of free early education each week for 38 weeks of the year. From September 2013 some 2-year-olds will be eligible as well.

 
9- Pram friendly. London Buses have access and space for prams. Streets are really prepared as they have ramps and most restaurants have a buggy area.


10- In the future, they can study in great universities that are internationally recognised.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Mum on Rails Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | web hosting